I have to admit I was a little wary of making beef stroganoff. It’s one of J’s favorites and I really didn’t want to mess it up. Even now I’m thinking about how I could have improved it! I’m posting the recipes with my modifications; Doubled the amount of beef broth (we like it saucy!) and added the step drain beef. You REALLY have to drain the beef or it’s way too much grease.
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained.
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in boiling water until done, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, cook mushrooms and onions in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until soft; remove from pan.
- Using the same pan, melt remaining butter. Cook ground beef in melted butter until browned. Drain beef. Mix in flour. Stir in beef broth, and cook until slightly thickened. Add mushroom and onion mixture; stir in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until sauce is hot, but not boiling. Serve sauce over egg noodles.