The Jealous Side of Me

(from http://www.marybrebner.com/)

Sometimes I feel jealous.  And I know jealousy is wrong.  I always feel dirty when I feel jealous.  And that is not a good feeling.

And my jealousy is mostly unfounded as nobody has the perfect life.  Everybody has little problems that nobody knows about.

I was taught that good girls aren’t jealous.  Good girls are perfectly content with what they have.  But this has been a thing with me since I was young.  Do other people feel jealous?  Or am I the only one.

I tell myself that money would change all of my jealousy and I would be content.  But I know I probably wouldn’t.  Because then I would be jealous of somebody else’s body.  Somebody else’s job.  Somebody else’s…dog?  Probably. Toby is pretty dumb :)

But jealousy is something that I stamp down on a day to day basis.  I have a wonderful, exemplary, dedicated husband and a wonderful family.  And a kickass computer.  I tell myself that’s amazing.  But sometimes jealousy continues to eat away.  It would be awesome to get rid of it.

About these ads

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Lisa
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:42:18

You are so very, very not alone here. Sometimes I get so jealous/evious of the ease at which others are parenting I just cry. For me, I recognize what it is, and then I can move past it (sorta, lol) so I don’t let it affect how I feel about the person that I’m jealous of.

Jealousy is totally normal, we all feel it. Figuring out how we deal with it builds character. Isn’t that what we’re told anyway? ;)

You aren’t alone hun. Thinking of you.

Allecia (I know you know my name, but I wasn’t sure how many other Lisa’s you might know, lol)

• reneev
      Apr 26, 2011 @ 11:15:41

Thanks for not making me feel ashamed. I know that as easy as other people may have it, there are other things in their lives that make it not as easy as I think.

I never am upset at those I am jealous of. Just a longing feeling.

It’s all in how you deal with it, for sure. /big hugs to you. You’re awesome!

2. Sarah/InMyOwnDreams
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 17:44:43

Jealousy is a perfectly natural feeling. (And goodness, can I sometimes feel jealous over the strangest things!) Those that say no one should ever be jealous… well, having human feeling is not wrong – it is natural. What one does with that human feeling is what can make the wrong or right.

Many things can be done – some people go ahead and talk to the person about it. “Hey, I know this is irrational, but I’m really kinda jealous over this/that.” It can lead to interesting conversation, and as long as both parties remain rational, it can make a jealous party feel much better.

Suppression can lead to problems in the long run – explosions, saying things one doesn’t mean, etc. However, for some people/situations, suppression is the way to go!

… well, yeah. I actually only wrote this to tell you it’s perfectly natural! I tend to go on tangents – sorry. :-(

• reneev
      Apr 26, 2011 @ 17:57:27

Thanks bunches! Everybody responding has made me realize I’m not such a bad person. Phew! I’m glad I’m able to talk to people about this kind of stuff.

3. Bonnie
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 03:18:14

Oh gosh… I’m jealous all the time! I find it to be a very productive emotion because I’ve figured out how to convert it into motiviation. For example, I am jealous of all my friends who ran the Rome Marathon (I was supposed to but got injured). I’m totally bitter about it, by the way. So I’m taking all my bitterness out with me every time I go out & run now. And it keeps me going because I know I can do it (Venice, Oct 2011 FTW!).

If I see someone with better toys, a better job, a nicer car… I start brainstorming ways I can get those things, too. I don’t think jealousy has to be a bad thing, so long as you use it to spur you on to greater heights. :D

• reneev
      Apr 27, 2011 @ 08:34:40

Yea, seeing something that I would love to have, the motivational part is what gets me. I’m honestly lazy I think lol. But I know if I want certain things, I have to work hard for them. Other people might not have to work hard but I do. But jealousy as a motivator…I like it!